Thursday 25 July 2013

Do You Talk About Gender Equality?... And All The Difference Made in Women’s Life!

Reflecting on the above title, half of which was to a relevant article posted few days back on LinkedIn, to which I commented with part of what is said here, along the other half extended today.

It's been sometime I actually have been championing the same!

I believe the more we talk about gender diversity and gender parity in business and organisations, the more we can change narrow mindsets, facilitating understanding, opening doors and removing all barriers preventing women from progressing on equal footing as men in their careers; maintaining therefore, equitable, fair and just systems for all!  


Of course, I agree men should care about women's rights to fulfil their potential as equal competent professionals on part with fellow men. These are the same rights which govern and uphold their own rights when mitigating business deals and economic opportunities. After all, the gender issue includes both the female and the male aspects in all!

Nurturing the female ambition and self-confidence are other major elements required for professional growth and progress. These luckily are increasingly in extended supplies in today’s highly educated, professional, and career oriented millennial generation Y.

I really think the future is bright!  The gender issue for many will hopefully soon be no longer an issue. Today's highly motivated, driven and well rounded young generation of budding men and women will not allow it to be otherwise!

Ongoing efforts from mature baby boomers should be relentless however, as contemplating the alternative with damaging costs is not an option for anyone, first of all, the men themselves!

It’s vital to have a clear vision of where one wants to go, otherwise It takes years of experience and reflections to really be able to assess the kind of support, encouragement, training, coaching and mentoring one receives at the end. These need to be in equal balance between the support one gets from one's business, organisation and senior management; along understanding and positive intent one gets from family, friends and consistent support given and generated at home.

Realities have proven, the gender effect does have a great impact on women’s life trajectory and how there circumstances will fare…

Either ways, fulfilment is a tough state to embrace…

When reflecting on my own case, despite a very supportive family, a great husband and lovely kids who have backed me 100% for years all the way! Still, like so many women in my case, I had to none-the-less go through the same workplace limitations as many others in my own career growth in the past.

The fact remained, being a woman could get me so far at the time!

That said, my own erratic lifestyle and unsettling expat conditions, again like many women back then and even now, I had to prioritise as our family moved countries regularly following my husband's work. I just felt, it would be counter productive to even nurture further aspirations, when I knew my true responsibilities lied elsewhere! 

For the sake of family balance, needs and necessities, I felt my career needed to be put on hold for a while, which perhaps was not really the best thing to do!

Looking back, I think I made the most of what I could under the circumstances, and now I have been back on track for a while. Though perhaps with a changed vision, a more established outlook, to what exactly I want to do with myself in the future. The nurturing expands and grows! 

Yet, career and profession may become a part of you after so many years of work and practice, some turned irrelevant in time, others never lose their value, many however, reassuringly are reinforced skills as we grow in learning, exchange and self-knowledge. Many more sprout in a new age we are learning still!

The difference in the renewed is in its fresh outlook, its 360° vantage point, keeping us ever so enthralled! Now, it’s no longer really about the options, the opportunities, and the networks, along a specific duty or job at hand... Now, it's something unlimited, undefined, infinite, and far more reaching!

Now, it’s how to make the most out of all the endless possibilities within! J


Notes: These are in part comments made and posted at the following ‘InCourage Leading, LLC Jone Bosworth official blog post dated July 24th:


Jone Bosworth says:
Love your optimism, Wassila! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. I couldn’t agree more that the combination of relentlessness (older generations’ story-telling) and self-confidence (younger generations) will bring us a new era of shared recognition and responsibility for gender equality — vital to the whole human family. Awesome comments!


2 comments:

  1. I could not have told it better! You are such a committed and optimistic gender activist. Your philosophy of recovery, resilience and maintaining your genuine self is admirable. I enjoyed every bit of my visit to your blog. A very thoughtful soul. Keep on writing dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kelvin!

    Very kind of you to think so:)

    Naturally, the Gender issue has been for me a major consideration for a long time now, but more so for the last few months, running up to my final dissertation submission (Monday is the Big Day!!)

    With still more to do, even more so after submission, as life goes on and the real issues in our days take on another hold, keeping us on our toes trying to find different ways to progress and improve.

    Blogging is another way of recording all that in bits & bytes!

    All the Best:)

    ReplyDelete